In the February 2008 issue of Bon Appetit Magazine…
- King of Pork Bruce Aidells recommends a recipe for Coffee Marinated Bison Short Ribs braised with bacon.
- Fresh, locally grown winter vegetables are sometimes hard to find, but turnips are usually good this time of year and one way of preparing them is to coat the turnips with pancetta and sesame seeds for a hearty but healthy side dish.
- Cinta Senese pigs used to be a common sight in Italian homes, but by 1994 were almost extinct. One Italian farm is committed to regrowing the Cinta Senese population. Guests at the farm are treated to Penne All’Amatriciana with fresh pancetta, along with a variety of other cured meats.
- Corn and Bacon Pie is a country-style dish made from whole grain cornmeal.
- The editors make some suggestions for Valentine’s Day meals. And for brunch they simply recommend serving some bacon. It’s not quite the sophistication we’ve come to expect from Bon Appetit, but sometimes a simple suggestion is better than making things overly complicated!
- And last, while this wasn’t a feature in the actual magazine, the Bon Appetit homepage is currently featuring a slideshow called “Everything’s Better with Bacon” along with 20 recipes for enjoying the Best Meat Ever. I guess they’re making up for giving bacon the cold shoulder in last month’s issue. WARNING: When you watch the bacon slideshow, have a towel handy to wipe the drool off your computer screen.